International Men’s Day is an opportunity for people everywhere to appreciate and celebrate the men in their lives and the contribution they make.
It is a time to celebrate the positive male influences in our lives.
Are you celebrating anyone special today?
The 2020 theme is “Better Health for Men and Boys” with the aim to make practical improvements to the health and wellbeing of the male population.
The three core themes for International Men’s Day in the UK are:
- Making a positive difference to the wellbeing and lives of men and boys
- Raising awareness and/or funds for charities supporting men and boys’ wellbeing
- Promoting a positive conversation about men, manhood and masculinity
These core themes help to address some of the issues that affect men and boys such as:
- The high male suicide rate
- The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education including attainment and re-skilling
- Men’s health (including male cancers), shorter life expectancy and workplace deaths
- The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society (for instance, homeless men, boys in care and the high rate of male deaths in custody)
- Male victims of violence, including sexual violence
- The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers
- Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking and slavery
- The negative portrayal of men, boys and fathers
Source: UK Men’s Day
You can support charities working with men and boys by leaving a gift in your Will to make sure that those charities are always here for the men and boys who need them.
You can find all our member charities here.
If you’d like to leave a gift in your Will, check out our online will-making partner Bequeathed.