A special thanks to Richard Docwra from Changestar who delivered a session for our charity members on 13th September 2016 on increasing legacy income for charities.
Here are some tips to be mindful when developing legacy communications:
- Charities need to ask people properly and directly to leave a charitable gift in their Will
- Keep communications sensitive and personal
- In year 1, send a pack and in year 2, 3, 4…. an annual reminder pack
- Send the packs to as many people as you can
- The pack should be about inspiring your supporters and focussing on the future and your charity’s big goals, vision and milestones
- It’s ok to talk about the past to give you pedigree and credibility
- Include stories of how gifts in Wills have helped your charity and personal stories of pledgers
- Once someone makes a pledge, thank them personally and ask them how they would like to be communicated with
- Create space and generate prioritisation for legacy fundraising in your charity, talk to your Board and Directors to get buy in and investment
- Be brave enough to talk about gifts in Wills as they can transform charities!
To find out more about Changestar and the support they provide, visit their website